Negotiations are involved in so many parts of our lives. Maybe you don’t love the idea of becoming an expert negotiator. Maybe Bargain Hunting is never going to be your favorite pastime. Have you ever stopped to think about how much it might cost you to avoid learning the basic essentials of negotiating a good bargain? Or, have you thought about how much you might save over your lifetime if you make up your mind that you will employ a few of these easy to learn negotiation skills next time you buy a car, a home, a household appliance, or the next time you “negotiate” your next job.
7 Rules to Negotiate Anything
1. Negotiate Anything and Everything. Some consumers often fail to even attempt to negotiate major – or minor – purchases.
Imagine the cost – or the value – over your lifetime if you decide to pay full price for everything all the time. What do you think? Would that be a 10% cost if you never negotiated anything and you never engaged in any kind of bargain-hunting? Another way to think about it is the value over your lifetime – when you decide to master a few basic skills related to negotiating.
2. Exercise Your Walk-Away-Muscle.
3. Practice the Daily Discipline of Patience. In a face-to-face negotiation, you have to be patient to receive the best offer.
4. Comparison Shopping Builds 3 Kinds of Muscle; Mental (knowledge is power), Emotional (taking time to comparison shop requires the exercise of self-control), and Financial Muscle. One of the keys to smart negotiation has always been comparison shopping. You probably won’t be able to change the terms of an offer you get in a retail store, but if you have done your comparison shopping, you will know if the offer is worth considering.
5. Cash is King in Bargaining. I’m not just talking about the green stuff here. When you walk into a car dealer with a cashiers check from your bank, you hold the power of cash. We all know its true, cash talks.
6. Silence is Golden so Shut Up. I would never tell you to shut up in person. That would be rude. When you’re negotiating, however, you might want to think more and talk less.
7. Timing. Timing. Timing is Everything! In this episode, I’ll give you some tips about saving big bucks when you get ready to buy your next car. Now, take a minute to tell me your story about negotiating.
I’m waiting to read your story. Really… Please. I have time and I’m very patient.
Thanks for listening to the very end…